Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Encouragement

I was reading Hebrews 3 today, and one of the verses I read really hit me... Vs 13 says,

"But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called 'today,' that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin."

I started thinking about our culture a lot, even our culture as Christians. So what does it mean to "exhort?" I found several definitions for this online. Most of which said the same thing. It is to urge, advise, admonish urgently, to encourage, recommend, or warn someone (more a combination of these things than an individual thing).



We don't do this very often in our culture. The Lord has blessed me very much in whom I am close with. I have two sisters, a brother-in-law, and a few very close friends who never cease in encouraging, advising, and admonishing me when it needs to be done. Sadly, I am aware that most people, including Christians, do not have friends or family who are strong in this at all. I see so many people who are "hardened by the deceitfulness of sin" simply because A) no one will exhort them or B) They refuse to listen to those who actually do exhort them. I think both are equally as sad. Why have we lost this in our culture? Why, as Christians, do we feel like this is something that invades people's privacy or violates their rights? I can't even count the number of times either I or someone I know has rebuked someone and had them get angry or they respond by asking to "stop judging them." Why?! Seriously!? Why would anyone ever not want to see they are walking in sin if they are a follower of Christ? How has this become acceptable? How has this become desirable to walk in ignorance?

As a result, believes become hard and they fall in to even more sin. How tragic... And as a result of having rebukes and exhortations refused, people stop exhorting each other, resulting in all the more hardening. These our our brothers and sisters! We are watching them slip away and we do nothing... out of fear.

I am not saying I am perfect, oh no, please do not misunderstand me. I am a wretched sinner all the same as you. I am selfish, proud, a manipulator, a gossip, a deceiver, an adulterer, and the list goes on. I am so sinful... but I want to be better so badly. My sin physically pains me sometimes. But the more I sin, the more grace I see. And in my weakness, He is my strength. I will probably never stop sinning while I am here on this earth, but I will do my best to recognize my need for Christ everyday, and to grow in holiness, so that people can see Christ through me, and they may in turn follow the one who as made me this way. The creation is called to reflect the Creator.

So, friends, please do not be afraid to exhort one another, as we are called to do. Do not let yourself be hardened to the deceitfulness of sin, and slip farther away from the one who has called you. The more you grow, the more you realize how little you really know. I am far from humble, but the lessons I am learning are definitely a huge help! And PLEASE, rebuke me. :) I need a good rebuking often. :P

Love,
Mel

1 comments:

Jeff said...

Do not let my heart incline to any evil,to busy myself with wicked deeds in company with men who work iniquity, and let me not eat of their delicacies! Let a righteous man strike me—it is a kindness; let him rebuke me—it is oil for my head;
let my head not refuse it.
Psalm 141

Amen


Free Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com and Ford Cars. Powered by Blogger